ICAR-Indian Agricultural Statistics Research Institute (IASRI) is a pioneer Institute of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) undertaking research, teaching and training in Agricultural Statistics, Computer Application and Bioinformatics. Ever since its inception way back in 1930, as small Statistical Section of the then Imperial Council of Agricultural Research, the Institute has grown in stature and made its presence felt both nationally and internationally. ICAR-IASRI has been mainly responsible for conducting research in Agricultural Statistics and Informatics to bridge the gaps in the existing knowledge. It has also been providing education/ training in Agricultural Statistics and Informatics to develop trained manpower in the country. The research and education is used in improving the quality and meeting the challenges of agricultural research in newer emerging areas.
The Institute also occupies a place of pride in the National Agricultural Statistics System (NASS) and has made several important contributions in strengthening NASS, which has a direct impact on the national policies. The Institute has contributed significantly by providing excellent human resource to NARES in the country in the disciplines of Agricultural Statistics and Informatics for meeting the challenges of Agricultural Research in the newer emerging areas. Conducting post graduate teaching and in-service courses in Agricultural Statistics, Computer Application and Bioinformatics for human resource development is an important activity.
Statistics and ICT for enriching the quality of Agricultural Research
To undertake research, education and training in Agricultural Statistics and Computer Applications for Agricultural Research
- To undertake basic, applied adaptive, strategic and anticipatory research in Agricultural Statistics and related fields and use these researches in meeting challenges and improving quality of agricultural research
- To conduct post-graduate teaching and in-service, customized and sponsored training courses in Agricultural Statistics and Computer Applications at National and International level so as to be a leading centre of excellence in Human Resource Development.
- To provide methodological support in strengthening National Agricultural Statistics System by establishing linkages with State departments of agriculture and allied fields, other research institutions, industry, etc.
- To lead in development of Agricultural Knowledge Management and Information System for National Agricultural Research System.
- To provide advisory and consultancy services for strengthening the National Agricultural Research System and undertaking sponsored research and consultancy for National and International organizations.
Origin & Growth
Statistical Section created under ICAR.
Activities of the Section increased with appointment of Dr. PV Sukhatme.
Re-organisation of statistical section into statistical branch as a centre for research and training in the field of Agricultural Statistics.
Re-named as Statistical Wing of ICAR.
Activities of Statistical Wing further expanded and diversified with the recommendations of FAO experts, Dr. Frank Yates and Dr. DJ Finney.
Re-designated as Institute of Agricultural Research Statistics (IARS).
Signing of MOU with IARI, New Delhi to start new courses for M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree in Agricultural Statistics.
Status of a full fledged Institute in the ICAR system, headed by Director.
Identified as Centre of Advanced Studies in Agricultural Statistics and Computer Applications under the aegis of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
Commercialization of SPAR 1
New Course leading to M.Sc. degree in Computer Application in Agriculture initiated
Burroughs B-4700 system replaced by a Super Mini COSMOS LAN Server.
M.Sc. degree in Computer Application in Agriculture changed to M.Sc. (Computer Application)
Center of Advanced Studies in Agricultural Statistics & Computer Application established by Education Division, ICAR.
Establishment of Remote Sensing & GIS lab with latest software facilities.
- Senior Certificate Course in ‘Agricultural Statistics and Computing’ revived.
- Establishment of modern computer laboratories.
- First software in India for generation of design along with its randomized layout SPBD release 1.0.
- Four divisions of the Institute re-named as Sample Survey, Design of Experiments, Bio-metrics and Computer Applications.
- Revolving Fund Scheme on Short Term Training Programs in Information Technology initiated.
- Training programmes in statistics for non-statisticians in National Agricultural Research System initiated.
- Strengthening of LAN & Intranet with Fiber optics & UTP cabling.
- Substantial growth in outside funded projects and training programmes.
Two divisions re-named as Division of Forecasting Techniques and Econometric.
Data Warehousing activities (INARIS project under NATP) initiated.
- Establishment of National Information System on Animal Experiments Laboratory.
- Development of PIMSNET (Project Information Management System on Internet) for NATP
- Establishment of National Information System on Long-term Fertilizer Experiments funded by AP Cess Fund.
- Development of PERMISnet (A software for Online Information on Personnel Management in ICAR System)
- First indigenously developed software on windows platform released Statistical Package for Factorial Experiments (SPFE) 1.0.
- National Information System on Agricultural Education (NISAGENET) Project launched.
- Training Programme for private sector initiated and conducted training programme for E.I. DuPont India Private Limited.
- E-Library Services Initiated.
- Statistical Package for Augmented Designs (SPAD) and Statistical Package for Agricultural Research (SPAR) 2.0 released.
- Design Resources Server with an aim to provide E-advisory in NARS initiated.
- Strengthening of Reproductive Lab with color photocopier.
- Installation of Digital Telephone Exchange
Organization of International Conference on Statistics and Informatics in Agricultural Research.
Establishment of Agricultural Bioinformatics Laboratory (ABL).
Software for Survey Data Analysis (SSDA) 1.0 released.